Monday, November 12, 2007

It's the holiday season and I need a drink already

Does your family drive you crazy? Mine does. It helps that I live 300 miles away from my nearest relatives but they can easily find ways to get under my skin. I told my mom that I was coming home for either Thanksgiving or Christmas but not both. The reason is that I can't get the days off. I don't have seniority at this job so I can only get 1 day off instead of 2.

She's mad because she wants to go shopping so she can cook her big meals. She cooks like she has a army platoon coming instead of 4-5 people. She already has her Eclectrics® Mixer out so she can make her meals. As long as she makes her sweet potato pie I don't care what else she makes. Her pies are soo good. She uses her Hamilton Beach® Mixer to mash up the sweet potatoes. She probably makes 3 or 4 pies. I get one, my step-dad gets one and everybody else shares whatever is left. Yeah me and my step-dad get our own pie. lolol. We're greedy like that. No seriously, I get a pie so I can bring it home.

I think my mom wants a new Hamilton Beach® Stand Mixer as her Christmas gift. She uses her mixer so much that it's starting to clunk out. And I know she hates trying to mix all of that stuff by hand. Just in case you're wondering about her pie recipe, I've included it below. Be sure to have vanilla ice-cream to top it off. Talk about heavenly!

1 (9 inch) unbaked pie crust
2 cups mashed sweet potatoes
3 tablespoons butter, melted
2 eggs, beaten
3/4 cup white sugar
3/4 cup milk
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1/2 cup light whipping cream

DIRECTIONS
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
In a medium bowl, combine potatoes and margarine. Stir eggs, sugar, milk, nutmeg, vanilla, lemon juice and cream into potato mixture. Beat until smooth; pour into pie shell.
Bake in preheated oven for 50 to 60 minutes, until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Serve warm or cold.

No comments: