Sunday, April 15, 2007

My thoughts on Jackie Robinson Day

I think it's a good idea. No, scratch that, I think it's a great idea but it's being overdone. It's ridiculous. Six teams had their entire roster wearing number 42. The Dodgers I understand because that's who he played with. The other 5 teams? In my opinion that's overkill. Each team had players, coaches and even some managers wearing 42. I thought that was a good idea, it wasn't the entire team, just a few people.

There are several players who wear 42. Mariano Rivera of the Yankees being one of them. That's their number, it was assigned before MLB decided to retire the number. Those few players get to wear the number until they retire after which time the number will be forever retired.

But today is being totally overdone. In between every inning of the game we have to listen to people drone on. It's bad enough that you have the announcers constantly blathering, now we have to listen to more people blathering about. I think MLB should have had the ceremony before the game (which they did and was very well done). Then done a ESPN hour-long special (or however long they wanted it to be).

I don't think I've ever been so ready for a game to be over. Next we'll have to listen to Sports Center and Baseball Tonight blather for another 2 hours. Believe me, I know how great Jackie Robinson was and what his accomplishments meant not only for MLB in general but minorities and African-Americans specifically. But I still feel these ceremonies are overdone with too many people trying to get face time.

I've heard that MLB is thinking of making every April 15th Jackie Robinson Day. I just hope in the future it's more about Jackie and less about everybody else.

No comments: